Friday, October 5, 2012

Vacuum Sealing Salads

Imagine being able to keep romaine salads fresh in the fridge for up to 10 days. What a thought, right?! I can't tell you all how excited I was when I came across this pin on Pinterest.
All you need is the canister attachment for your vacuum sealer, and wide mouth canning jars. Let me repeat something very important here. {WIDE MOUTH} canning jars. If you don't get wide mouth, you will get this:
Still useful, but not for the intended purpose.

If you do not have a canister attachment (I have an older model), you will need to go online as I was not able to get this in the stores. But it was only $8, so it's not a big hit to the wallet. (I got it from Amazon)
Chop, wash, dry, and spin the lettuce like you normally would.  One suggestion that I would offer would be to really put in a bit more effort into the drying. Specifically using a paper towel, even after using a spinner. If you don't, you will end up with condensation inside the jar.

When sealing make sure that you hear a *ping*, and you will know for sure that it is finished.
So now go out to your local warehouse store and buy a big package of romaine hearts for $5 because now you have a chance to enjoy all of it and not throw your money in the trash. One of these packages has six large romaine hearts and will yield seven jars. And you could easily have more individual jars if you do not care for very large salads.
Enjoy healthy meals for a week!

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome idea! I usually buy a 3 pack of romaine for our family of 2. When I get home I cut, wash and spin. Then I put it in a gallon ziploc baggie with a paper-towel in the bottom. It stays fresh for over a week.
    I'll have to try out your idea.
    {Stopping over from SITS}

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin